School Rules and One Ways?

Tuesday night I get home from work to receive a letter from my son’s second grade teacher explaining that the childrens' behavior has basically been out of control. They are talking to much, not getting their work done, disrupting others, etc. The best part of the letter was a remark she made about when the children arrive in the morning they are suppose to get started right away on their work. Well, here’s my thought the bell rings at 7:20, school technically does NOT start until 7:40. So I was a little upset because I know my son McKinlee is definitely part of those talking and disrupting others. So we had a talk all is good right? Wrong!

So Wednesday morning McKinlee and I are waiting in the designated drop off line at school and well here is the letter that I sent to the Board of Education yesterday late morning. This will explain A LOT.

Dear Sir or Madam:

I have a child in the second grade that attends Shadybrook Elementary School located in a residential area of High Point. The parking lot is set up with one entrance and one exit. However, in the beginning of the school there were drivers that would constantly enter the exit. There were multiple letters sent home to the parents regarding the traffic pattern and since then there has not been an issue, until today. When the bell rang at 7:20, my child exited my vehicle at the designated drop off location. I proceeded to leave the parking lot in the correct traffic pattern directed by the school official (Mr. Foster), upon reaching the exit I see a mini van trying to enter where there are two exit lanes both with cars trying to leave, the driver continued to try to come in the exit. When I got to the end of exit where it meets the street I rolled my window down pointing the sign out to the women in the mini van that this was an exit only... big sign says "DO NOT ENTER." The lady in the mini van rolls her window and the following occurred:

Lady in Van: "What?"
Myself: "This is exit only, see the sign "DO NOT ENTER!" (pointing to the sign)
Lady in Van: "Not for me" (with a giggle)
Myself: "Oh really not for you?" (I pulled away)

The lady in the van, Ms. Barefoot, a second grade teacher at Shadybrook Elementary and my son's second grade teacher.

Why is this acceptable? and better yet Why was she not at school before the bell rang?

I look forward to your response and insight on this matter.

I will also be calling Mr. Foster to file a complaint with the school as well. I would hope that this situation gets handle promptly seeing that there could have been a very serious accident this morning because a teacher does not have to follow the rules, but parents/children do.

Thank you!


So as you can read, I was NOT a happy person. I was very angry needless to say but as I go back to my statement above. Drop off is 7:20, my son is already on his was to class where according to the letter his teacher sent the children are to start their work IMMEDIATELY, right? Well, I’m sorry if the bell as rang and she is still not at school yet, why my son along with the rest of his class is being reprimanded for not working when she is not even there. I’m thinking her being tardy to work is an issue all on its own. I’m just saying!?!?

No comments: